Punchy is about driving growth with a clear message
It doesn’t matter how awesome your product is. If your messaging confuses people, your business won’t grow as fast as it could.
Punchy translates your great product into a great message for your target customers. We connect the dots from your product’s value to your customer’s aspirations to your company’s driving purpose.
It means walking away from the techie language that got you to where you are, like this:
“We’re a customer-care automation platform that helps you increase customer lifecycle value.”
And making your product’s value immediate, like this:
“Win customers for life.”
Punchy was founded by Emma O’Brien
I’m a messaging and positioning expert. That means I untangle complex features, make the abstract concrete & clarify your purpose, so you can connect with customers.
My clients are visionary founders and CEOs of growth-oriented companies with complex products in competitive markets. Your product is an innovative solution to a worthwhile & meaningful problem.
We may be a good fit if…
- You have an innovative tech or tech-enabled product in a noisy, rapidly changing market
- You struggle to concisely explain what your product is or does
- You’re actively trying to achieve the next stage of growth, whether a new investment round or bigger market opportunity
- You’re a purpose-driven founder who wants to make a positive impact
- You’re down-to-earth and have a good sense of humor
We may not be a good fit if…
- You view messaging as a necessary evil within marketing
- You don’t really see the point of story when your technology is so good
- You’re not particularly passionate about what you do
It’s okay if…
- You don’t have a product yet. My Clarity Fix for Founders is perfect for early-stage folks.
- You feel emotionally invested in your messaging – I respect that and will help you get to a place of confidence and excitement about your new message.
- You’re not sure exactly what your messaging needs – you just know it needs help.
Punchy helped communicate our complex B2B medical software business in a compelling and powerful way. It’s easy to get lost in the weeds of a business like ours, but Emma helped us make that critical leap from product features to our big, inspiring vision.
– David West, CEO of Proscia
My own story
I found my purpose while standing at a whiteboard.
Four 20-somethings sat at a table behind me, trying to imagine their insanely-innovative-machine-learning-platform as a superhero. Like Batman, or something.
“Who is the bad guy your platform will defeat?” I asked them.
It was my way of getting our conversation out of cloud storage, which was the message they were stuck on. They needed a more exciting and visionary story to secure their next seed round. At the whiteboard, we dreamed up bad guys and discovered together that cloud storage was not their big story. Their big story was a vision to change the way the world detects cancer through digital images.
Of course, they always knew this was their story. But they couldn’t articulate it.
That startup is out changing the world right now and I’m on a mission to help more startups find the right language for their products, ideas and companies.
Your story isn’t nice-to-have marketing fluff. (Trust me, I cut my teeth in global consumer branding, and lemme tell you, THAT is some fluff.)
Your story is the articulation of your idea and business strategy. It’s critical you get it right, whether you’re launching your first product, raising money or acquiring new customers. A clear and compelling story will always move you forward.
If your messaging isn’t moving your business forward, let’s talk. I’d love to help your story too.